Today, setting up a home based web design business is a great option for web designers who want to control how they work, when they work and with whom they work.
1. You must gain the experience that is required to give quality web design to your clients by taking classes online or offline. It is very crucial even if you are already a pro web designer so that you can keep up with the up to the minute trend and information in web design and of course to give the best service and output to your clients.
2. You must contact the zoning department in your city to know whether you will need to apply for a zoning permit to legally build and run your web design business from your home.
3. Then, complete the legalities necessitated to accomplished your home-based web design business by applying for the applicable business licenses in your area, signing up for your business with your state and registering your business name, if possible and applicable, with your city or state.
4. You must create a marketing plan that earnestly details what steps you will take to gain new clients and to retain your existing clients. You must apply both online and offline marketing methods like from article and forum marketing online to using business cards and attending networking events offline in order to set up your business.
5. You must get the expertise of a lawyer to write a contract that will encloses the terms and conditions for working with your web development business, who will own the work upon completion of a project, under what conditions you or the client may back out of the contract and of course how and when payment will be done. If can’t manage to get the service of an attorney, you must think about searching a Statement of Work template online and customizing it to your needs.
6. Consider on how you will monitor of your accounting as detailed records are very crucial for tax purposes. There are various accounting software deals like QuickBooks that will make it simpler for you to keep track of all incoming and outgoing money.
7. Demonstrate your talent by creating stunning and beautiful website for your home-based web design business. You must be sure that your web content is action-oriented and is optimized for the search engines by using relevant keywords.
8. Last but definitely not the least, you must create a portfolio of your past design works that possible clients can see to have an ideas of your web design talents. If you are a newbie designer, think about giving a slight discount on your price rates to let you to establish your portfolio.